Do It Yourself Non-Surgical Facelift

I’m the first to investigate a new anti-aging product or procedure, and have been for the last twenty years. Sometimes I’ve even gone so far as to indulge myself with the promise of eternal youth. So either the earth’s gravitational pull is getting stronger or raising children has finally taken its toll. Here I am, middle aged and wondering what’s the next thing to “go south.”

I’m an esthetician with all the tools of the trade. I have all the gizmos and gadgets that when used regularly will minimize the effects of aging. So why don’t I use them on myself? Because it seems that there is never enough time.

With all the new technology such as lasers, thermage, microcurrent and magic lotions and potions, there is always a cost. It might be the price, the risks or the inconvenience. What if there was something you could do in the privacy of your own home for as little as 10 minutes a day. I know, I’m beginning to sound like an informercial but the claims are that there really are things you can do that can help get that youthful jawline and line free forehead back. Would you be willing to give 10 minutes a day for a few weeks to try it and see for yourself?

Facial exercises have been around for ages. Now it makes sense that toned muscles are firm muscles and that goes for the face as well as the body. As we age the underlying muscles of the face become flaccid and are less able to support the skin that is attached to them. While there is a lot that can be done to tighten and firm the skin, it is the underlying muscles, that when toned and tightened, make the biggest difference.

My first experience with facial exercise was with Greer Childers in her exercise program, “Body Flex.” She based her technique of the premise that oxygenation of the tissue keeps it young and vibrant. She had me doing the “Lion” and the “Ugly Face” (appropriately named) where I would get into position and pull these horrible grotesque faces and hope to high heaven no one walked in on me. She promised me that while everyone else was trying to “smooth the wrinkles out of their face we will have the last laugh because we will already be there.”

Then came Ellae Elinwood with her book, “Timeless Face.” This is a book I got not only for myself, but for my clients to prolong the effects of their facial treatment. Ellae has twenty three facial exercises that you do in front of the mirror....alone... or with a group of five year olds for entertainment.

Another favorite is “Facelift at you Fingertips,” by Pierre Jean Cousin. I really like this book and incorporate a lot of the techniques in my facials. This book focuses primarily on acupressure points, massage and aromatherapy. By stimulating acupressure points in the face by massage or gentle tapping, you increase the flow of energy, increase circulation and improve muscle tone.

Now I don’t know about the facial gadgets you put in your mouth to help exercise and tone the muscles. Besides the sanitation issue, I question the effectiveness. The only thing I will put repeatedly in my mouth is my tooth brush.

One company sells a workout ball and a towel to heat and warm up the face before exercise. I guess this is so you don’t pull an orbicular oris muscle during your workout.

The most important exercise you can do to improve the face is to smile. Have you ever noticed how people who smile more tend to have a definite jaw line. If jowls are your problem try looking in the mirror and then smile and watch how the jowls disappear. Smiling can relieve stress and tension and help you feel better. Your smile will have an affect on others when they see you smiling. You can even use surgical tape while you sleep to keep that smile in place.

Incorporate these facial exercises into your daily exercise routine and you can be firm and toned head to toe.

Janice Bird

Janice Bird is an author, an empowerment coach and a master esthetician. You can subscribe to her newsletter, Breakthrough Beauty Secrets, by going to http://breakthroughbeautysecrets.com/. Find out more about Janice, her articles and products at http://janicebird.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eyelid Surgery - Why a Laser Eye Lift is Better Than Eye Cream

Eyelid Surgery - Special Considerations For Older Plastic Surgery Patients

Nose Job From 500 BC To 2008